The auditorium consists of three levels of the original four with the God’s level serving only as a technical facility. Historically the theatre suffered extensive fire damage and subsequently the backstage was demolished during the late 80’s, recently the backstage areas have been reconstructed to modern standards to allow for larger touring productions and producing.
The Dress and Upper Circle are both open to the public and the God’s acts as technical station front of house. The Stalls and Dress Circle have folding down theatre seats while the Upper Circle is cushioned.
Total seating is just under 700 and the capacities for the levels are as follows:
- Stalls: 308
- Dress Circle: 172
- Dress Circle Boxes: Undergoing restoration
- Upper Circle: 176
- Gallery: Undergoing long term restoration
Traditional Proscenium-arch stage with trap room and front orchestra pit, the stage is a modern construction onto an original 1884/1900 Phipps/Matcham Theatre. Direct side of stage load-in is available for any sized vehicle, two vans can load simultaneously or a single articulated lorry.
The stage floor surface is oil tempered hardboard on 25mm ply, painted with matt black emulsion. Any damage or repainting will be charged for accordingly. If freshly painted stage required, charges may apply.
- PROSCENIUM – width: 8.94m
- PROSCENIUM – height: 8.50m
- MAXIMUM HEIGHT OF TABS: 7.50m
- STAGE DEPTH – full: 10.75m
- STAGE DEPTH – from Iron: 9.90m
- STAGE DEPTH – in front of Iron: 0.85m
- NORMAL SETTING LINE: Iron-line
- STAGE WIDTH – downstage: 16.38m
- STAGE WIDTH – upstage: 16.82m